Find a way to follow RDM!

Twitter Facebook RSS Community

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Georgia on my mind

This is Georgia.  She's a beautiful Boxer Bull dog that Man-Hide and I were lucky enough to spend part of our afternoon with today.  She's a year and half old, and has a club foot that the vet tech said was likely that way from birth.

We have no idea how she ended up at the shelter.  We spent over an hour with her, and she was one of the most loving and affectionate dogs I've ever had the pleasure of spending time with.

We took her out to the porch and as she walked, she did not let her foot hinder her at all.  She even pulled a little on the leash in her excitement to get outside with us.

As we sat, Georgia climbed up between us and lay across both our laps.  She was very relaxed and seemed to just be enjoying her time with us, as if she knew it was a gift.

Leaving her at the shelter today was hard for both of us, and we agreed that if we had our own place, she would have come home with us.  On the walk back to her kennel, she resisted and looked at us very sadly as we said our goodbyes.

The only thing that's going to get me through times like these, is knowing that if it weren't for people like us, and the rest of the staff and volunteers at the shelter, Georgia, and others like her, would likely face a life alone on the streets or be condemned to wait on "death row" because of her breed, or might get no attention at all.

As hard as it is to leave one behind that you could so clearly have a special bond with, I know that I brought a  little joy into Georgia's life today.  That, in turn, brought some joy into mine.

If I can give these wonderful babies love, time and attention until they find their fur-ever homes, then I know I have made some small difference in what could have otherwise been, a very sad situation.

As much as I hope to see Georgia again next week when I return to the shelter, part of me also hopes that I won't.  That I'll find out that she got to go to her fur-ever home with a family that will love and care for her.

For now, though, I definitely have Georgia on my mind....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mom update:

Today was another round with the plasma transfusions.  I spoke with her earlier (still haven't been able to go up there because of my cold) and she was very tired and said she'd had a bad day.  The plasma and blood transfusions do that to her.

Still no word on if she'll get to come home Friday or if that's just wishful thinking on her part.  We'll have to wait and see.

Love, light and happiness....until next time....
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment